Dholera Smart City Progress, Challenges and Plans
Dholera smart city progress is on track, and the city is expected to be completed by 2040. The project’s first Phase is expected to be completed by 2022 and will include the development of basic infrastructures, such as roads, water, and power. Once completed, Dholera will be one of the largest smart cities in India and will be a model for future smart city development in the country.
Want to invest in Dholera Smart city? Contact Our Expert
What is Dholera Smart City?
Dholera is an upcoming smart city located in the Ahmedabad District of Gujarat, India. When completed, it will be one of the largest smart cities in the country and a model for other major cities in India. The city is being developed by the Dholera SIR, a Special Investment Region (SIR) developed by the Gujarat government. Dholera SIR is expected to contribute $110 billion to the Indian economy and create 1.2 million jobs by 2040. The city will be developed over 4,500 acres of land. Once completed, the city will have a population of 1 million people. The city is expected to be completed by 2040.
- Also Read: Dholera smart city plot price
Timeline for Dholera Smart City
The Gujarat government has been considering the development of Dholera as a new city since 2005. However, it wasn’t until 2011 that the government began actively pursuing the city’s development. The government announced their decision to develop Dholera as a Special Investment Region (SIR) in 2013, and the city was officially announced as a smart city in 2016. The first construction phase is expected to finish by 2022, and the project is expected to be completed by 2040.
- Must Read: The Top 10 Smart Cities in India 2021
Key features of Dholera Smart City
Dholera is a strategically located city expected to benefit from the Ahmedabad and Gandhinagar Urban Expansion (AGUEP) and Dholera WID Connectivity Corridor (DWCC) master plans.
Dholera will be connected to the national highway road network via the upcoming Ahmedabad-Raaj-Gandhinagar Highway.
Dholera will be connected to the national railway network via the Dholera-Bhavnagar-Gandhidham rail link.
Dholera will be connected to the national waterways network via the Gulf of Khambhat waterway.
Dholera will also be connected to the national optical fibre network and have Fiber-to-Home (FTTH) broadband connectivity.
Dholera will be powered by solar photovoltaic power plants and wind power plants.
Dholera will be connected to the global Internet via submarine fibre-optic cables.
Pros and cons of developing Dholera as a smart city
The Dholera Smart City is a planned city that is being developed in the state of Gujarat, India. The city is being developed as part of the Delhi-Mumbai Industrial Corridor project. It is one of the first planned cities in India that is being developed as a smart city.
The pros of developing Dholera as a smart city include the following:
- The city is being developed with the latest infrastructure and technology, which will make it a world-class city.
- The city will have a well-planned transportation system, with an international airport and a high-speed rail link to Delhi and Mumbai.
- The city will have a green belt area three times the size of Central Park in New York City.
- The city will have its power generation and water treatment facilities.
- The city will have a special economic zone that will attract investment worldwide.
The cons of developing Dholera as a smart city include the following:
- Developing Dholera as a smart city is that it would require a significant investment
- There is a risk that the city may not be able to attract enough investment to make it viable due to the global economic downturn.
- There is also a risk that the city may not be able to attract enough people.
Key Points to be noted for Dholera smart city plan
Dholera Smart City is an upcoming greenfield smart city developed near Dholera, Gujarat, India. The city will be developed on the Public-Private Partnership (PPP) model and spread over 920 square kilometres.
Dholera is one of the first cities to be developed under the Smart Cities Mission, a flagship program of the Government of India. The city will be developed in phases, with Phase I covering an area of 100 square kilometres.
Dholera Smart City will have a well-planned infrastructure and be equipped with modern amenities. Some of the key points to be noted for the Dholera Smart City plan are:
- The city will have a well-developed road network with wide roads and a dedicated bus rapid transit system.
- It will have a robust water supply system, with treated water supplied to each household.
- The city will have a modern sewerage system with sewage treatment plants (STPs) located at strategic points.
- It will have a reliable power supply with renewable and non-renewable energy sources.
- It will have a state-of-the-art telecommunications system with high-speed internet connectivity.
- It will have a comprehensive transport system with an international airport, seaport, and railway station.
- It will have a world-class education system with many schools and colleges.
- It will have a Healthcare system with hospitals, clinics, and pharmacies.
The Dholera Smart City is progressing well and is on track to becoming one of the most advanced and well-connected cities in India. The city has been designed with cutting-edge technology and infrastructure to offer people a high quality of life. The city is also expected to create many jobs and attract investment from both domestic and foreign companies.
Latest Updates of Dholera Smart City: